On June 10, 2019 the Citizen Science Association invited the SciStarter team to present on our new education platform to get more citizen science into schools! Leonora Shell (SciStarter’s Education Program Co-Director) presented on the new EdTech platform and the full video recording of the webinar can be found here and the slides here.
With support from the National Science Foundation, NASA, and foundations, SciStarter.org is the leading citizen science hub on the Internet. Building on this grant-supported foundation, SciStarter is deploying a new EdTech product for school districts and universities.
SciStarter Education is an EdTech platform with science participation + engagement as its key goal (with supplementary curriculum):
- Students participate in actual science projects that we curate based on your district’s specific STEM curriculum; projects aligned with UN Global Sustainable Development Goals
- Students work in an interactive web portal for completing projects, recording observations, reflecting on what students have learned
Students hear from scientists at academic institutions and government agencies
- Students can fulfill community service requirement credits via citizen science
- Teachers receive training and PD materials
- Once a class has completed at least one curated SciStarter Project, they can build their own community-based projects in the portal to address issues about which they are curious or concerned
- Integration with rostering and enrollment data for single sign on and one-click authentication linking teachers with their students in SciStarter Education
- District, School, Classroom, and Student-level analytics dashboards to measure individual and collective impact
- Learn how Broward (FL) County School District and North Carolina State University are currently leveraging SciStarter Education and how you can bring this resource to your district or university!